Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Zuniga map is not a map per se, it was not made for directional purposes for locating areas. There is no scale to the map and there was no engraving of it made. The Zuniga map better qualifies as a chart. A couple of traced copies from the original were made by the artist and the chart (above) is one of those traced copies. Only a small section of the original chart was released into the public domain and some pieces of that section are used here to show a sharper quality. Pedro de Zuñiga (Zuniga map) was the Spanish ambassador stationed in London. He obtained a copy of the chart for King Philip III of Spain. The chart was made by a man named George Percy, it shows the areas where survivors from the 1587 colony had been and where they are currently located. Within the black border (above), those areas represent Edenton, NC, Pembroke Creek, a branch of the Rocky Hock Creek, the Chowan River, Indian Creek, and the Meherrin River. Note the entire landmass west of Pembroke Creek and north to the Rocky Hock Creek inlet is missing. It shows the west bank of the Chowan River as being the west bank of Pembroke Creek. There are 2 "breaks" on the chart (at green arrows) that leave those areas open for interpretation of distance by the artist. Most of the lines on the map are very exact in that the smallest drawn detail that appears to be a mistake actually represents a landmark. Although many of the dips, curves and straight lines are not to scale, they do mimic the dips, curves, and straight lines of certain areas. At the far left of the map (above) shows the Roanoke River. The beginning of that area matches up exactly with the shores of the islands where the river begins at the mouth of the Albemarle Sound. On the chart (below, left, at blue arrow) there appears a watercourse with a short, "squiggly" tail. Most of that watercourse is made up of a "squiggly" line (below right at blue arrow) and is an example of the chart void of any scale.

Identifying the locations on the chart is in the fine details. For example, In the image (below, left), the map shows a short run of the Cashie River, the artist referred to it as the Chowwan. There is a line that spans about 2/3 of the way across the river where the Roanoke and Cashie Rivers meet (blue circle). The Google Earth satellite photo (below, right, blue circle) shows what the artist was referring to with that line across the river.

On this page, the Zuniga Map is revealed and explained for what it truley is. Some of the stories of the Lost Colony are revealed also but in much greater detail in a non-fiction book soon to be released here. The 1587 colony, known as the Lost Colony of Roanoke has been found! And their story is unlike anything you could have ever imagined.     

The image in the black border (above chart), is used multiple times on this page with color-coded borders for easier identifying of the different areas, the image runs east to west for easier viewing.



Within the image in the red boxes (above, and below) is where today Edenton, North Carolina is located (In the images above, north is facing south. The image below, north is facing west). Edenton is also where the Lost Colony landed at 50 miles into the main interior following their move from Roanoke Island. There they assimilated with the Weapemeoc tribe. Elannor Dare's profile bust picture displays as a knob of land that jets out into Edenton Bay (see images above and below at red arrows). Her name is written beneath her image and is translated above the red line (above, right window). 


From the town of Edenton, Pembroke Creek runs NW winding around knobs of land and islands. The path then turns west and extends to another island located in the Rocky Hock Creek inlet just off the Chowan River (above and below, at yellow arrows). 


Within the water inlet that encircles the island at the Rocky Hock Creek, there shows a heavy, curved line drawn just off of the island (above, blue arrow at far-right). That curved mass appears as a treeline visible in the water next to the island (above, blue arrow, at left.)  Heading north from there is Bennett Mill Pond and Just north of the pond appears a water hole that is very unique in its appearance (above, white circle, and below, black circle at white arrow). From there, the chart plots a coarse west. 


Heading northwest from the unique shaped water hole (above, white circle), the creek runs NW and branches off in multiple directions (at blue circles). The chart shows one of those branches extending north towards Indian Creek near Arrowhead Beach. At the point where the course branches from the creek appears a "slot" shape in the treeline (above, blue circles). The chart also shows the "slot" shape in the treeline (below, blue circle at the blue arrow). That unique landmark is visible on Google Earth only in the Winter image of 1998.


Extending from the blue circle "slot" (above, lower right) a branch of the Rocky Hock Creek flows north (above, outlined red) past Chowan Beach and Arrowhead Beach. The creek then ties into Indian Creek. Heading northeast along the Indian Creek is Dillard Millpond (above, top, red and yellow arrows). The chart shows 2 unique shapes in the pond area (above, right, red and yellow circles). In both red circles, they show a circular cutout around the shore of the pond with a flat side to the pond (above, far-right image). The other is a bush (above, yellow circles). The bush appears basically in the same shape as it appeared over 400 years ago when the chart was made. What also appears to be an island in the creek (above, blue circle), is a circular clearing in the brush and trees. There are a few of those "circular" clearings along the creek in that area but only one is most closely shaped like the one that appears on the chart. The short lines on the creek's banks above the clearing are small streams that runneth over from the creek.


Along the Arrowhead Beach shoreline appears a white sandbar, darker sand appears mixed in on the left side of the sandbar (above, red circles). In the blue circles, the artist simply squared off a watercourse that cuts into the beach. The artist then continued along the shoreline to a notch that is also naturally cut into the shore (left and right, green arrows). The area within the gold circles (above) is heavily darkened. In that area, the trees are of a different shade of color than the others and also show to be thinning out around those edges and making for an identifiable landmark. To the right of the gold circles, appears a path through a clearing around the creek. A roadway now runs over that path (above, b/w dotted lines at left and right. Below, dark blue box).


Navigating the Zuniga map from east to west ends at the Roanoke River. What has been thought in the past to be the North Carolina coastline are the shorelines of the islands at the mouth of the Roanoke River. Those shorelines match up exactly to the shorelines on the chart. The chart shows the river (see Roanoke R. above, inset window) as a straight, "squiggly" line. The river winds around the islands in multiple branches until just west of the Cashie River where it forms as one and begins to bounce from side-to-side off its banks. The artist portrays the river correctly as the chart is not to scale. The chart also shows one of those islands as Lanor Isle, or El - anor Isle, for Elannor Dare. The blue circles (above), reveal Elanor's name (the inset window is reversed from that on the chart). In the area of those islands, 7 survivors of the Lost Colony were taken there by the Tuscarora to the Hocomawanack Village and Oconohoen following an Indian attack on the colony in 1591. The chart shows 2 Hocomawanack villages; 1 on an island in the Roanoke River, and 1 on the west side of Kendrick Creek on the river's south bank (see above). Tuscarora King Eyanoco and the Eno (a Tuscarora sub-tribe) Chief Gespanacon each lived in one of those villages. On the chart, there appears an island that is labeled "Roanoke". The island is located at the entrance between the north bank and the first island in the Roanoke River (above, green circle). Although there is no island located there, the artist is showing that the Lost Colony came from Roanoke Island where they first landed in August of 1587. Upon a single Google Earth image, an anomaly does appear in that same area as shown on the map, possibly the river was low and there is an island there? The image can be seen in this book publishing.  

The greatest piece of artwork since the works of Leonardo da Vinci can be found in a section of this map not so much in the artwork itself, as clever and perfect as it is, but in what the piece represents. The two sections from the Zuniga map (below) are of the same image; one is in black and white and the other is in color. The image shows Elannor Dare and King Powhatan of the Powhatan Confederacy conceiving a child in the Lost Colony Church. Who was that child? Aside from the image (below), overwhelming evidence has recently revealed itself and  

From a period chart of drawn images titled: A description of part of the adventures of Capt. Smith in Virginia.  The above image shows a strip of beard under King Powhatan's bottom lip and on his chin. He is wearing his headdress of feathers. 


Within his published writings, Capt. John Smith of Jamestowne noted that the first church was made using a sail from a ship and that the sail was fastened to 3 or 4 trees. The sail was the roof of the church and the captain referred to it as an awning. The Lost Colony also used a ship sail for their church at Arrowhead Beach (at right, red circle, and square). Upon a map made by James Wimble and engraved in 1738, it shows the church made by the Lost Colony (at right, red circle). That section of the Wimble map is tipped on its west side to better view the church structure. The top point of the church is an oval shape (at right, red square at green arrow). The oval represents 2 trees close together and is the top point of the church. The two bottom corners are each a single tree (at right, red square, purple arrows) and the bottom end of the church is facing NW just as it does on the Zuniga map. In the shading on the ground around the church, in the red circle, Note the outside edges of the shading are curved representing the cloth sail sagging down between the tree columns that the sail is fastened to. 

I'm a paragraph. Click once to begin entering your own content. You can change my font, size, line height, color and more by highlighting part of me and selecting the options from the toolbar.

The church was located at what has been known since the 18th century as the Bandon property, the Bandon Chapel is located there today. In the early 1700's the Arrowhead Beach area was known as "Indian Town" and was first owned by an Anglican minister, the Reverend Daniel Earl. The reverend may have probably lived in that structure until 1757. Records show that a house was built at that time and the reverend then named the property Bandon. In the photo (above, right) is where the current chapel sits and where the first church with the sail and later the Bandon house was located. There are 2 brick pillars, one on each side of the church marquee that represents 2 trees or columns (that the sail fastened to). Those 2 brick tree columns have been known for a long time as being the gateway to the Bandon property. Stated on the plaque at the foot of the marquee is the following: GATEWAY TO BANDON HOUSE - HOME OF INGLIS FLETCHER - BUILT IN 1757. Jack and Inglis Fletcher bought the Bandon property in 1944. Inglis Fletcher wrote 12 historical novels there known as her Carolina Series. When the Lost Colony was attacked at the Rocky Hock Creek a hard rain fell, seventeen of the colonists were killed in the attack, 7 of them were saved. One night at the Bandon house Mrs. Fletcher heard noises that sounded as though several people, heavily loaded down were climbing the stairs to the second floor. As there was no one there she concluded that this was the ghostly reenactment of a tragic past happening. Following the Indian attack on the colony, Elannor Dare carved the Dare stone. She states in a message on the stone, that she buried the colonists upon a small hill about 4 miles east of the river. The Zuniga map locates a possible cemetery that is about 4 miles east of the river and there are many hills there, the only hills to be found in the region. The area is currently being excavated.

The image (at right) is original period artwork titled Baptism of Pocahontas. The artist was unknown but has since been identified. More can be found about the artist and much more, in a book soon to be released. Capt. John Smith noted that in the first church, seatings and rails were made. Seating and rails were also made for the Lost Colony Church. The seating appears to the right of the 2 tree columns located at each side of the pastor. The ceremony is taking place in the Lost 

Baptism of Pocahontas

Colony Church under the sail. The photo (below) is a partial image of the same artwork (above) only in different lighting. The background in the image (below) shows a starry night outside as there were no walls to the church. To the right of the seating is a standing window frame that was attached to the frame of the church (above and below images). Looking out the window is the Chowan River (in white). Above the river are tree branches that hang just outside the window. Below is the river's east bank and there appears the church with the sail. It's in the shape of a 3-pointed crown (below image at red arrow). A silhouette of what also appears to be a hand (below, at blue arrow) is pointing towards the church confirming the church's existence there and that the ceremony is taking place in that church. Had the artwork been of the first church made with a ship's sail at Jamestowne, then outside of the window would show a palisade surround. There also were no trees inside the James fort compound.

The image below is Baptism of Pocahontas, painted in 1837 by John Gadsby Chapman. The painting was copied from the above period artwork and hangs in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. Within the inset window (below, right) is the church from the James Wimble map. In the blue inset window at the blue arrow (below, right) shows a small, square building with a round opening. In the blue inset window (below, left), it shows the same building only from the inside of the church  at Arrowhead Beach. The building appears behind the two tree columns, it was used as a standing-room gallery (note the round opening at the front of the building in both images). Also, note the tree and branches hanging just outside the window (below, far right). Any trees were removed from the James Fort compound and there shows no palisade outside of the window. Preservation Virginia archeologists excavating the James Fort determined that both of Jamestowne's first two churches were built within the original palisaded, fort compound. Records show that the church with the sail at Jamestowne was replaced with a wood structure when the fort burned in 1608. Although the 2nd church was identified at Jamestowne in their excavations, there were no signs of a small building having been attached to it.

Why was Pocahontas baptized in the Lost Colony Church at Arrowhead Beach? Because that is where she was conceived by her mother Elannor Dare and her father King Powhatan.