Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
Quantity:
Subtotal
Taxes
Shipping
Total
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart


Break​OnThru.org

DISCOVERING THE FUTURE BY REVEALING THE PAST

"What do we really know about the accuracy of the recording of events that took place in America prior to the American Revolution and the free press?" 

SOLVED!  ZUNIGA MAP REVEALS ELANNOR DARE and the LOST COLONY of ROANOKE

It is known as the Zuniga map. The map could not have been solved without a creative eye and technology such as Google Earth. In sharp focus, one must be able to zoom in on certain targets within a few hundred feet from a birds-eye-view. Some targets also must be viewed in the different seasons of Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. A way to measure distances is also needed and Google Earth provides all of this. Historian and author David Beers Quinn writes, "Clearly the Zuniga map is of the greatest importance in showing us what was known and surmised in 1608 as to the area south of the James (River)." Mr. Quinn is referring to the Lost Colony of Roanoke and their fate south of the James River. The map has not easily been understood and over the past 100 years, historians and scholars have not agreed on the interpretation of its geography, and thus the location of the 1587 English Colony following their move from Roanoke Island.  


The Zuniga Map has been solved, and it is not of the Chesapeake Bay region or the James River as has been suggested in the past. The rivers on the map were made to view north to south. Starting from east to west, the map shows the north side of the Albemarle Sound, to Edenton, North Carolina, to the Roanoke River where the river begins at the mouth of the Albemarle Sound.  Essentially many parts of this map are a mirror image of the Chesapeake Bay region. Found written upon the map multiple times is the 1587 Lost Colony leader Elannor Dare, as well as her image in a profile bust. The original map (below) is in black and white and any color upon the map was recently added for easier identification purposes.

The Zuniga map is not a map per se, it was not made for directional purposes or for locating certain areas. There is no scale to the map and there was no engraving of it ever made. The Zuniga map better qualifies as a chart. A couple of traced copies from the original were made by the artist and the chart (above) is one of those traced copies. Only a small section of the original chart was released into the public domain and some pieces of that section are used here to show certain details in a sharper quality. Pedro de Zuñiga (Zuniga map) was the Spanish ambassador stationed in London. He obtained a copy of the chart for King Philip III of Spain. The chart was made by a man named George Percy, it shows the areas where survivors from the 1587 colony had been and where they are currently located. Within the black border (above), those areas represent Edenton, NC, Pembroke Creek, the Rocky Hock Creek, the Chowan River, Indian Creek, and the Meherrin River. Note the entire landmass west of Pembroke Creek and north to the Rocky Hock Creek inlet is missing. It shows the west bank of the Chowan River as being the west bank of Pembroke Creek. There are 2 "breaks" on the chart (above, at green arrows) that leave those areas open for interpretation of distance by the artist. Most of the lines on the map are very exact in that the smallest drawn detail that appears to be a mistake actually represents a landmark. Although many of the dips, curves and straight lines are not to scale, they do mimic the dips, curves, and straight lines of those areas. At the far left of the map (above) shows the Roanoke River. The beginning of that area matches up exactly with the shores of the islands where the river begins at the mouth of the Albemarle Sound. 


On the chart (below, left, at blue arrow) there appears a watercourse with a short, "squiggly" tail. Most of that watercourse is made up of a "squiggly" line (below right at blue arrow) and is an example of the chart void of any scale.

Identifying the locations on the chart is in the fine details. For example, In the image (below, left), the map shows a short run of the Cashie River, the artist referred to it as the Chowwan. There is a line that spans about 2/3 of the way across the river where the Roanoke and Cashie Rivers meet (blue circle). The Google Earth satellite photo (below, right, blue circle) shows what the artist was referring to with that line across the river.

On this page, the Zuniga Map is revealed and explained for what it truley is. Some of the stories of the Lost Colony are revealed here also but in much greater detail in a book soon to be released here. The 1587 colony, known as the Lost Colony of Roanoke has been found! And their story is unlike anything you could have ever imagined.     

The image in the black border (above chart), is used on this page with color-coded borders for easier identifying of the different areas, that image runs east to west, multiple times (below) for easier viewing.

 

FROM ROANOKE ISLAND, TO EDENTON, NORTH CAROLINA (below)

Within the image, in the red boxes (above, and below) is where today Edenton, North Carolina is located (In the images above, north is facing south. The image below, north is facing west). Edenton is also where the Lost Colony landed at 50 miles into the main interior following their move from Roanoke Island. There they assimilated with the Weapemeoc tribe. Elannor Dare's profile bust picture displays as a knob of land that jets out into Edenton Bay (see images above and below at red arrows). Her name is written beneath her image and is translated above the red line (above, right window). 

FROM EDENTON, NORTH CAROLINA, TO THE CHOWAN RIVER / ROCKY HOCK CREEK INLET (below)

From the town of Edenton, Pembroke Creek runs NW winding around knobs of land and islands. The path then turns west and extends to another island located in the Rocky Hock Creek inlet just off the Chowan River (above and below, at yellow arrows). Keep in mind here that the artist is not making a map per se and therefore some of the details of the lay of the land are bypassed and are not included in the drawing.

FROM THE ISLAND AT THE CHOWAN RIVER / ROCKY HOCK CREEK INLET, TO NORTH OF BENNETT MILL POND (below)

Within the water inlet that encircles the island at the Rocky Hock Creek, there shows a heavy, curved line drawn just off of the island (above, blue arrow at far-right). That curved mass appears as a treeline visible in the water next to the island (above, blue arrow, at left.)  Heading north from there is Bennett Mill Pond and Just north of the pond appears a water hole that is very unique in its appearance (above, white circle, and below, black circle at white arrow). From that water hole, the chart plots a coarse west. 

FROM NORTH OF BENNETT MILL POND TO THE EAST BANK OF THE CHOWAN RIVER NEAR CHOWAN BEACH and ARROWHEAD BEACH (below)

Heading northwest from the unique shaped water hole (above, white circle), the creek runs NW and branches off in multiple directions (at blue circles). The chart shows one of those branches extending north towards Indian Creek near Arrowhead Beach. At the point where the course branches from the creek appears a "slot" shape in the treeline (above, blue circles). The chart also shows the "slot" shape in the treeline (below, blue circle at the blue arrow). That unique landmark is visible on Google Earth only in the Winter image of 1998.

FROM A BRANCH OF THE ROCKY HOCK CREEK TO THE DILLARD MILLPOND (below)

Extending from the blue circle "slot" (above, lower right) a branch of the Rocky Hock Creek flows north (above, outlined red) past Chowan Beach and Arrowhead Beach. The creek then ties into Indian Creek. Heading northeast along the Indian Creek is Dillard Millpond (above, top, red and yellow arrows). The chart shows 2 unique shapes in the pond area (above, right, red and yellow circles). In both red circles, they show a circular cutout around the shore of the pond, note there is a flat side to the pond (above, far-right image). The other is a bush (above, yellow circles). The bush appears basically in the same shape as it appeared over 400 years ago when the chart was made. What also appears to be an island in the creek (above, blue circle), is a circular clearing in the brush and trees. There are a few of those "circular" clearings along the creek in that area but only one is most closely shaped like the one that appears on the chart. The short lines on the creek's banks above the clearing are small streams that runneth over from the creek.

ARROWHEAD BEACH, CHOWAN COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA (below)

Along the Arrowhead Beach shoreline appears a white sandbar, darker sand appears mixed in on the left side of the sandbar (above, red circles). In the blue circles, the artist simply squared off a watercourse that cuts into the beach. Then continued along the shoreline to a notch that is also naturally cut into the shore (left and right, green arrows). The area within the gold circles (above) shows a darkened mass. In that area, the trees are of a different shade of color than the darker green trees and make for an identifiable landmark that clearly stands out when viewing from a birds-eye-view. To the right of the gold circles, appears a path through a clearing that crosses over the creek. A roadway now runs over that path (above, b/w dotted lines at left and right, and below in the dark blue box). The A-shaped icon with a Cross (above) that appears to be a fort is a church built by the Lost Colony. More information about the church can be found further down on this page.

FROM ARROWHEAD BEACH TO THE ROANOKE RIVER

Navigating the Zuniga map from east to west ends at the Roanoke River. What has been thought in the past to be the North Carolina coastline are the shorelines of the islands at the mouth of the Roanoke River. Those shorelines match up exactly to the shorelines on the chart. The chart shows the river (see "Roanoke R." above, inset window) as a straight, "squiggly" line. The river winds around the islands in multiple branches until just west of the Cashie River where it forms as one and begins to bounce from side-to-side off its banks. The artist portrays the river correctly as the chart is not to scale, if it was to scale, the wavy line would wind from side-to-side between the banks. The chart also shows one of those islands as Lanor Isle, or El - anor Isle, for Elannor Dare. The blue circles (above), reveal Elanor's name (the inset window is reversed from that on the chart). In the area of those islands, 7 survivors of the Lost Colony were taken there by the Tuscarora to the Hocomawanack Village and Oconohoen at Ritanoe following an Indian attack on the colony in 1591. The chart shows 2 Hocomawanack villages; 1 on an island in the Roanoke River, and 1 on the west side of Kendrick Creek on the river's south bank (see above). Tuscarora King Eyanoco and the Eno (a sub-tribe of the Tuscarora) Chief Gespanacon each lived in one of those villages. On the chart, there appears an island that is labeled "Roanoke" (above, green circle). The island is located at the entrance between the north bank and the first island in the Roanoke River (above, green circle). Although there is no island located there, the artist is showing that the Lost Colony came from Roanoke Island where they first landed in August of 1587.  

The greatest piece of artwork since the works of Leonardo da Vinci can be found in a section of this map not so much in the artwork itself, as cleverly drawn as it is, but in what the piece represents. The two sections from the Zuniga map (below) are of the same image; one is in black and white and the other is in color. The image shows Elannor Dare and King Powhatan of the Powhatan Confederacy conceiving a child in the Lost Colony Church. 

From a period chart of drawn images titled: A description of part of the adventures of Capt. Smith in Virginia.  The above image shows a strip of beard under King Powhatan's bottom lip and on his chin. He is wearing his headdress of feathers. 




THE LOST COLONY CHURCH

The A-shaped symbol (above, red square) that appears to be a fort, is a church. The oval shapes at the 3 points of the church that appear to be bastions are trees. Within his published writings, Capt. John Smith noted that a first temporary church at Jamestowne was made using a sail from a ship and that the sail was fastened to trees. Capt. Smith referred to it as an "awning". The sail was the roof of the church. At Arrowhead Beach, the Lost Colony also used a ship sail for their church. Made by James Wimble and engraved in 1738, a map of the Arrowhead Beach area shows the church that the Lost Colony made (above, black border, in red circle). The church displays from a ground-level view whereas the church on the chart displays a birds-eye view. A small building appears attached to the frame of the church in both drawings (above, green arrows). In the shading on the ground around the church drawn by James Wimble, note the outside edges of the shading are curved representing the cloth sail sagging down between the tree columns (above, red circle). On the chart, the left, rear corner edge of the sail also appears to be hanging down (above, red square, purple arrow). The church was located at what has been known for a long time as the Bandon property, the Bandon Chapel is located there today. In the early 18th century, the Arrowhead Beach area was known as "Indian Town." It was first owned by an Anglican minister, the Reverend Daniel Earl. The reverend probably lived in that structure until 1757. Records show that a house was built at that time and the reverend then named the property Bandon. The photo (below, left) is where the current chapel sits and where the first church with the sail, and later the Bandon house were located. The sail was fastened to 2 trees standing close together. which made for the top point of the church and where the altar was located. There are 2 brick pillars, one on each side of the church marquee that represents 2 tree columns (below, left). Those 2 brick columns have been known for a long time as being the gateway to the Bandon property. Stated on the plaque at the foot of the marquee is the following: GATEWAY TO BANDON HOUSE - HOME OF INGLIS FLETCHER - BUILT IN 1757. Jack and Inglis Fletcher bought the Bandon property in 1944. Inglis Fletcher wrote 12 historical novels there known as her Carolina Series. When the Indians attacked the Lost Colony at the Rocky Hock Creek a drenching rain fell, seventeen of the colonists were killed in the attack. One night at the Bandon house Mrs. Fletcher heard noises that sounded as though several people, heavily loaded down were climbing the stairs to the second floor. As there was no one there she concluded that this was the ghostly reenactment of a tragic past happening. Following the Indian attack on the colony, Elannor Dare carved her husband and daughter's headstone, known today as the Dare stone. She states in a message on the reverse side of the stone that she buried the colonists upon a small hill about 4 miles east of the river. The Percy Chart shows a possible cemetery that is located about 4 miles east of the river. The area is currently being excavated.

Baptism of Pocahontas

The image (above, right) is original period artwork titled Baptism of Pocahontas. The Baptismal ceremony is taking place in the Lost Colony Church under the sail. The photo (below) is a partial image of the same artwork only in different lighting. The background in the image (below) shows a starry night outside as there were no walls to the church. To the right of the seating is a standing frame window that was attached to the frame of the church. Looking out the window (image below) appears the Chowan River (in White). Above the river are tree branches that hang just outside the window. Below the river is its east bank, and there appears the church with the sail. It's in the shape of a 3-pointed crown (below, red circle). A silhouette of what also appears to be a hand (below, blue circle) is pointing towards the church confirming the church's existence there and that the ceremony is taking place in that church. Pocahontas was baptized in 1613 or 1614. The church at Jamestown was built in 1608 and is described by Capt. Smith as being a barn-like structure made of wood. Had the baptism taken place at the church at Jamestowne, then outside of the window would show a palisade surround. There also were no trees inside the James fort compound according to period images of the James Fort. It was also determined from excavations of the fort that the 1608 church did exist within the original palisaded compound. 

The image (below) is also titled Baptism of Pocahontas and was painted in 1837 by John Gadsby Chapman. The painting was copied from the above period artwork and it hangs in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. Within the inset window (below, right) is the church from the James Wimble map. It shows at the blue arrow, a small, square building with a round opening. Within the blue inset window (at left), appears that same small building as it appears from the inside of the church. The building is behind the two tree columns and seems to have been used as a standing-room gallery (note the round opening at the front of the building in both images. Also, note the tree branches hanging just outside the window (far right). 

Why was Pocahontas baptized in the Lost Colony Church? Because that is where she was conceived by her mother Elannor Dare and her father King Powhatan (right), Elannor was about 27 years of age at the time of her daughters birth in 1595 or 1596. 

The solving of the map known as the Zuniga map and made by George Percy, reveals much of the story of the Lost Colony. The colony landed at Roanoke Island in August of 1587. The governor of the colony, John White, then returned to England shortly thereafter and the colony was more or less on their own and had not seen a supply ship or any fellow Englishman until the arrival of the Jamestowne Colony. 


When asked the fate of the Lost Colony, 8 out of 10 surveyed responded that if any survived they assimilated with the Indians and melted away into the tribes. The Percy Chart reveals that is exactly what happened. There were 6 English males and 1 English female that survived to see the arrival of the Jamestowne settlement according to the Percy Chart. Those 7 English did have children together with each other as well as with the native Indians.

 

From the chart of images titled: A description of part of the adventures of Capt. Smith in Virginia, the caption to the image states the following: "The Country we now call Virginia beginneth at Cape Henry 

distant from Roanoke 60 miles, where was Sir Walter Raleigh's plantation, and because the people differ very little from them of Powhatan, I have inserted these figures in their place because of the conveniency." The caption from the image states "because the people differ very little from them of Powhatan". All of those people in the stands in that image (above) are related to the Lost Colonists according to the caption and the George Percy Chart. After 20 years of living with the native Indians, even some of those "kids" would have been having kids of their own by then. The Lost Colony at Powhatan Town was covered-up, not because someone was going to "get into trouble." Some of the early Jamestowne leadership documented their presence at Powhatan Town, at Jamestowne, and in the Chowan River and Albemarle Sound areas.


The 1587 English colony, also known as the Lost Colony of Roanoke has been found! And their story is unlike anything you could have ever imagined.

THE

DARE

HEAD

STONE


Front side 

Carved Cross

Ananias Dare &

Virginia went hence vnto Heaven 1591


Anye Englishman Shew John White Govr Via (Virginia)

DARE STONE MESSAGE


Reverse side -

Father soone after yov goe for Englande wee cam hither / Onlie misarie & warre tow yeere / Above halfe deade ere tow yeere more from sickenes beine foure & twentie / Salvage with mesage of shipp vnto vs / Smal space of time they affrite of revenge rann al awaye / Wee bleeve it nott yov / Soone after ye salvages saine spirts angrye / svddlone mvrther al save seaven / Mine childe Ananais to slaine wth mvch misarre / Bvrie al neere fovre myles Easte this river vppon small hil / Names writ al ther on rocke / Pvtt this ther alsoe / Salvage shew this vnto yov & hither / Wee promise you to give greate plentie presents

EWD (Elyanor White Dare)

1937, a 21-pound stone was discovered at the Rocky Hock Creek inlet where the Lost Colony was settled with the tribes of the Weapemeoc Indians. The creek inlet is located just off of the Chowan River about 4 miles north of the town of Edenton, NC. The discovered stone is known as the Dare stone and is made of pure quartz crystal, with copper, and traces of gold and silica. Carved on the Dare stone, is a gravestone inscription that reads: "Ananias Dare & Virginia Went Hence Unto Heaven 1591". A message carved on the reverse of the stone, reveals that the colony was attacked by Indians and Elannor's husband and daughter and 15 others were killed in the attack. The Tuscaroras intervened in the attack and saved 7 of the colonists. That intervention eventually cost the Tuscarora King his life along with 240 of his warriors. The message is signed EWD (Elannor White Dare). Located along the Rocky Hock Creek, in the area where the attack took place, a series of geoglyphs were discovered (below).  CLICK for DARE STONE


GEOGLYPH - DEFINITION: "A Geoglyph is a large design or motif (generally larger than 13 feet) produced on the ground and typically formed by clastic rocks or similarly durable elements of the landscape such as stones, stone fragments, live trees, gravel, or earth."

 

The geoglyphs are numbered #1, #2, #3, #4. At 1,350 ft. long, geoglyph #1, shows the profile head of an attacking Indian with war paint and two feathers. The Dare stone states that Ananaise Dare and Virginia were slain with "much misery." Seen in geoglyph #2,  is Virginia (The first English birth in America). She is represented by a little rabbit with a slashed throat. Geoglyph #3 displays a machete knife and a pool of blood dripping from the knife. The #4 geoglyph, is a profile bust of Ananais Dare, he is wearing a green hat and is tilted to the northeast. His image shows the machete has cut away part of his head. As color is added to these four geoglyphs, (see 2nd image below) the eerie story plays out in images of the slayings of Ananais Dare and Virginia. Also, in the 2nd image below, see the inset window (bottom, left corner) of an Algonquin Indian, this is a partial image used from Governor John White's artwork that he made of the Indians during his time in the Virginia area. The image shows the Indian's similarities when comparing it to the Indian displayed in the geoglyph above it.


At the creek, 24 of the colonists were attacked. Elannor states in her message that the attack was a gruesome one. The geoglyphs confirm that description.

Lost Colony of Roanoke revwaled in Geoglyphs

Within the image below is another geoglyph. The glyph is of Elannor Dare. She is on the west bank of the Chowan River just across from the Rocky Hock Creek inlet (see 2nd image below). She is carrying a baby on her back (note the feather on the baby's head). That baby has been identified.

Attack on the Lost Colony, Rocky Hock Creek, Fall - 1591

Be-it the spelling of some of the words in the following are written the 

same as was written by Elannor White Dare in her message upon the Dare stone. 



As beams of setting sunlight stood tall like crystal towers through the trees, and the leaves turned pastel colors dripped softly in the late Fall breeze. And the creek flowed timelessly in synch with another, then whispered its wisdom for the colony to take cover as a shipp boarded with violence cut silently through the dark waters of the Chowan River as it cruised the shore to anchor...the Indians knew...and from their villages they rann all awaye as the violence passed by and marked them for another day. The young messenger from the shore spied the King upon his English thrown and he too was marked then he rann awaye into the dark. He rann so fast the mesage vnto his friends at the creek for they would be no more as their death was soon to seek. And as the setting sunlight dried into darkness, only the creek was heard as it whispered the fate of the 24 Lost Colonists. Then came death's arrival and the King stood before his bride to claim, her hair like Strawberry-azure and with a beautiful English name. In terror her family embraced for they knew the end but why; her husband and childe the first with mvch misarie did-they-die! From the clear night sky it cried and from it fell hard the rain, the people were tortured and butchered the ground was covered red-stained! For when the rain had stopped then noticed the King, 17 were deade but seaven were not...


When flickered the sunlight and then doused the dusk and the creek surrendered its wisdom and then turned to dust, it surrendered its wise fate to the colony never found and the warnings of the cruel violence that was headed inbound. Within the dark silence came the ship's arrival then down plunged the anchor with the sound of no survival...the colonists knew...and with a sudden quick breath, the twenty-four stepped back! and the Powhatan warriors made their attack! And the torture and the misery and the butchering of the Lost Colony began!... When appeared the Tuscaroras and dashed the King's dreams for Elannor Dare, as 240 of their warriors appeared from nowhere! Her husband and daughter lay dead in a contorted misery when a burst of lightning sliced the night sky and the Tuscarora warriors began to fly! killing three Powhatans and wounding another as they whisked Elannor from the King's arms and taking six others, and the seven colonists born with shades of the sun god made their escape! Fleeing the creek, the warriors paddled furiously towards the river through the falling tears from the clear night sky, their boats leaned dangerously banking the small hills where from behind at the creek screamed of horrors and chills. And the rain picked up and it began to pour and it poured hard as the seven labored to breath it fell so hard! and the boats quickly dashed and the river was running fast and faster and out of the creek and into the river they went as the thunder roared! and the lightning screamed! and the trees were bursting from the lightning strikes! and arrows were flying and they all labored even to breath as the rain fell down so hard and their friends were dying and the boys were crying and Elannor was now a young widow as they reached the swollen dark waters of the sound...when the rain calmed down to a drizzle now and the Fall chill wrapped around Elannor with only her tears to warm her. "Saved their seven sun gods from the slaughter at Roanoke!" echoed from the Heavens through the Albemarle Sound. The warriors paddled at great speeds and into the dark-lit night did they evaporate a dozen miles along the Roanoke River to the Tuscarora village at Ritanoe. A place filled with stones of crystal and copper and gold and it was from there that Elannor retrieved two gravestones and upon them she would carve a Cross and the names of her husband and daughter, and the names of the other colonists, and the names of those from the Roanoke slaughter.

CONTACT

RETURN

HOME

Copyright 2022 All Rights Reserved